Empowering and lifting up women is a foundational value of PILAR. Our vision is to spotlight and showcase other self-made, confident women who are paving the way for others in the entrepreneur world. We were lucky enough to speak with Ali Marie, owner and founder of "rooted with ali", a holistic, apothecary business that specializes in skincare and eczema. Ali is a fun-loving, mother of four, devoted wife, and is passionate about holistic health.
1. How did rooted with ali come to be?
My children. My oldest daughter developed eczema as a baby. I had always been a dry skin sufferer and had eczema, but this was a whole new ballgame. We tried everything and anything and when the conventional ways were not working, I turned to natural skincare and my kitchen.
2. What aspect of your business gives you the most pride? What would you say has been your biggest challenge or obstacle?
The customers. Receiving emails or reviews on how my products have helped them or how much they enjoy their purchase is my daily reminder of why I started this.
My greatest obstacle? Getting the brand out there. Marketing is tough and getting my products in front of people is something I am continuously working on.
3. What are three things you would advise someone who is starting a business?
1) Do not quit. You can do this.
2) Be consistent. Make the time and get organized. (I am forever working on this.)
3) Use your resources. Be realistic with your strengths and your weaknesses. Focus on what you are great at and be okay with getting help with the things you are not. Knowledge is power and having all the tools will help you be successful!
4. How would you describe your style?
Simple. I tend to wear earth tones and love a good mom jean and tee.
Ali is pictured in the z supply tee in olive and the Agolde mom jean.
5. How do you find balance for all the things? Kids, running your business, time with you SO, time for yourself?
I work full time, run my small business, mother four children, and work daily on being a great partner, so how do I do all of that? I MAKE time for me. I think if I have learned anything over the years, it is that you absolutely must make time for yourself. If you do not show up for yourself, you cannot show up for others. You get lost and you crash. I lived this way for an exceedingly long time before I realized it was not selfish, but it was a NECESSITY to be successful in life. Game changer.
6. Where do you envision rooted with ali being in 5 years?
rooted with ali is an online store so I hope to see that continue to grow and become a space where people can also come for topics on skincare and allergies, gardening, herbal medicine, and motherhood. I envision rooted with ali products being on more shelves and becoming a household product name. I think a lot of people in this great state love supporting the local makers and I hope to see the brand expand in Colorado.
One of Ali's most popular products is pictured above, her deodorant. I personally love and use the Rosemary and Mint!
7. Name one female business owner or influencer who has had an impact on how you go about your business.
Truthfully, I do not think there is just one person, but more of a collective inspiration. I feel grateful to be surrounded by so many strong women who are small business owners and mamas. I have learned and continue to learn so much from them.
8. What is your everyday go-to look?
Athleisure wear. As with most of us lately, we are spending a lot more time at home. I am a big supporter of mental health and running is my game. I run most days during my lunch to break up my day. I come back clear-minded and ready to tackle the rest of what life throws my way. I feel strong and empowered by it. If I am wearing athleisure wear, I know I moved my body for 30 minutes that day and I feel amazing. It's my super woman outfit.
We loved getting to know more about Ali and her personal journey into starting a business. It was so fun to shoot her in some of Pilar's clothing! Getting to collaborate with women like Ali is what keeps us doing what we do. Give her a follow on instagram at @rootedwithali and as always, if you like one of the looks she is showcasing, come in and we can help you find your special look!